Za'atar Baked Potato
Boost your baked potato game by adding a dusting of Zesty Z Za’atar Seasoning Blend.
Baked potatoes are a staple for a reason. First of all, they’re easy to make with a few simple ingredients. Plus, most of the recipe is hands-off. While your potatoes cook, you can prepare the rest of your meal. Or, you can turn baked potatoes into a meal all on their own!
Not to mention, it’s easy to customize and flavor baked potatoes in a million different ways. If you’re looking to move on from classics like melted cheese and black olives, we have the perfect Mediterranean spice to dress up your next batch of fluffy baked potatoes: Zesty Z Za’atar Seasoning Blend.
How to Make Za’atar Baked Potatoes
The key to making baked potatoes is to aim for a crisp, golden sin with a soft and fluffy center. To achieve this, follow these simple tips:
- Poke the potatoes all over with a fork before baking. This helps the oven heat get deep into the potato flesh for even cooking without risking an explosion.
- Coat the potatoes in a thin layer of olive oil. This is the key to the golden crisp crust.
- Roast the potatoes on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. This adds some space between the potato and the baking sheet for hot air to circulate. That way, the skin on the bottom of the potato gets crisp and dry, not soggy.
- Rotate the potatoes halfway through. Most ovens have hot and cold spots. By rotating the pan halfway through cooking, you’ll ensure that your potatoes cook all the way through without burning.
When your baked potatoes are fully cooked and crispy all over, you’re ready to serve.
To add the za’atar flavor, simply open up each potato and gently mash the flesh. Sprinkle the top with a generous amount of Zesty Z Za’atar seasoning. The warm potato will wake up the flavor compounds in the dried herbs and sumac spice in our Mediterranean blend, and you’l be ready to eat!
What Kind of Potato is Best for Baking?
Choose a large, starchy potato for baking. Russets, in particular, hold their shape well and have a fluffy texture when cooked that’s perfect to absorb the zesty flavors of za’atar.
Serve your baked potato when it’s hot out of the oven. For added Mediterranean flavor, feel free to add toppings like:
- Labneh or plain full-fat greek yogurt
- Pickled red onions
- Greek olives
Za’atar Baked Potato Recipe
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 60 minutes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup za’atar seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Use a fork to poke holes in the potatoes all over. Coat the potatoes with a thin coating of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes on the prepared wire rack. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until you can easily pierce the potato with a fork and the skin is crisp. Rotate the pan halfway through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the potatoes cool for 5 minutes. Slice the potatoes open on top and sprinkle with za'atar. Serve hot.