Our Mediterranean Za’atar pizza recipe is guaranteed to deliver a lot of excitement at your next dinner, party, or family event!
In Lebanon, Za’atar Pizza, or Manoushe, is a classic food enjoyed at breakfast, lunch, and at late night. Yes, pizza for breakfast is more than acceptable! Uber Eats also recently named Manoushe a 2019 food trend. This popular food is making its way to kitchens, restaurants, food trucks, and mouths across America. As the “Pizza of Lebanon” and a staple on our Zesty Mom’s family table for years, we’re more than excited to share this easy Manoushe recipe with you.
For this Za’atar pizza recipe, swap tomato sauce for our Za’atar condiment—a blend of wild Mediterranean thyme, sesame, sumac, oregano, and extra virgin olive oil. Zesty Z mixes the traditionally dried Za’atar spice with extra virgin olive oil, creating a convenient way to enjoy a burst of Mediterranean flavor. Easy to spread, and easy to eat, we promise you’ll be enjoying Manoushe as the Lebanese do—for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack-times in between.
The Zesty Z version of Manoushe is deceivingly simple. First, grab your pizza dough of choice and separate into two sections—rolling into two rounded pieces, about ½ inch thick.
Now, spread ½-⅓ cup of Zesty Z in an even layer on top of the dough, leaving a bare outer ring for the crust.
Pop you first Za’atar pizza in the oven at 400˚F, baking until golden brown. Be sure not to overcook and watch out for air bubbles as the pizza cooks—you can simply pop with a skewer if they rise during baking. Once the first ‘za is baked to perfection, it’s time to master the second. Repeat the process, then serve as is, or garnish with additional toppings.
Our recipe suggests topping your Za’atar pizza with Greek yogurt, cherry tomatoes, and diced mint, but, you can get creative with toppings. We like the way mozzarella, gruyere, veggies, and charcuterie meats taste with Za’atar pizza too!
- Pizza dough (from local pizzeria, or grocery store)
- 1 jar of Zesty Z, mixed well
- Topping options:
- Greek yogurt
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate pizza dough into two balls. Roll the pizza dough to about ½ inch thick.
- Spread ½ – ⅓ cup of Zesty Z in an even layer on the dough. Leave room for the crust.
- Bake between 8 to 10 minutes, until crust is golden brown and still soft. **Don’t overcook**
- Check periodically for air bubbles and burst them with a skewer.
- Repeat with second ball of dough.
- Serve warm with optional toppings of cherry tomato, yogurt, and diced mint.