Crispy. Zesty. Juicy. Savory. Hungry? This Za’atar Chicken recipe is about to become your new go-to weeknight dinner feast.
And while we love to dress up gourmet proteins and delve into fun baking projects with our spices and condiments, we also love to keep it simple.
And it doesn’t get much more laid-back than a five-ingredient chicken dinner.
Of course, we don’t take “simple” too far. Sure, this recipe is fast and made with items that you probably already have at home. But flavor-wise and texture-wise, it’s a total party for your taste-buds.
How to Make Crispy Za’atar Chicken
To make this bright and herby Mediterranean chicken dinner, you’ll first need to bread your chicken cutlets.
The easiest way to coat chicken (or anything) is to use three shallow bowls:
- One for the flour
- One for the eggs
- One for the crunchy za’atar seasoned bread crumbs
To bread the chicken, use one hand to coat each cutlet first in the flour, then in the eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs.
Note that just like on the chicken, the bread crumbs will stick to any egg on your hand. So do yourself a favor and use one hand for the eggs and a different one for the breadcrumbs.
When your chicken cutlets are well coated in the seasoned panko, all that’s left to do is to fry them up until they’re golden and juicy.
What Does Za’atar Taste Like with Chicken?
Unlike most chicken tender recipes. These don’t need to be dunked into a thick, sugary sauce for serving.
Instead, we’ve infused the chicken breading itself with flavor. When you add za’atar dry seasoning to the panko, every bite of chicken has bright, vivacious Mediterranean flavor.
That herby note comes from dried Mediterranean thyme (also known as za’atar), with dried oregano and nutty sesame seeds. The brightness comes from tart, red-colored dried sumac.
The result is a totally unique crispy chicken dinner that shines all on its own.
More Dinner Recipes with Za’atar
- If baking is more your thing than frying, try this tender Za’atar baked Chicken
- A Za’atar Alfredo Pizza is perfectly creamy, cheese and zesty
- This Za’atar Tuna Salad has deliciously delicate brightness mixed in, thanks to sumac.
And there are plenty more zesty Mediterranean recipes to check out in our archive!
Crispy Za’atar Chicken Recipe
- 2½ tablespoons Zesty Z Dry Za’atar Seasoning
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 thin chicken cutlets (about ⅓ inch thick)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a shallow dish, combine the za’atar seasoning and panko bread crumbs.
- Pat the cutlets dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat both sides of each cutlet in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Then dip both sides of each cutlet in egg.
- Finally, coat both sides of each cutlet in the panko/za’atar mixture.
- Heat about ½ inch of canola oil in a heavy skillet. The oil is ready when a bit of breadcrumbs tossed in sizzles.
- Fry the cutlets until golden brown on the bottom. Then flip and cook through, until no longer pink on the inside and the temperature registers 165°F. Transfer cooked chicken cutlets to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with vinegary cucumber salad.