Za’atar fries are crispy, golden, and dunkable, with a wonderfully herbal coating of Mediterranean flavor. Here’s how to make them at home.
French fries may seem like an all-American indulgence. But the truth is that they’re popular all around the world. And it’s not hard to imagine why. Who doesn’t love dunking a fresh-from-the-fryer crispy potato fry into bright red ketchup?
Well, we’re about to turn your fry love affair on its head. By adding a coating of Zesty Z Za’atar seasoning.(Order your Premium Za'atar Shaker here!) to your potatoes, you can make oven-baked fries at home that are so flavorful, you won’t even need the condiments. Here’s how to do it.
Ingredients for Za’atar Fries
First, here’s what you need to make oven-baked za’atar fries at home:
- 4 large russet potatoes (these are the best for baking, as they have a lower water content than other potato varieties)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Zesty Z Za’atar Seasoning Blend
How to Make Oven-Baked Za’atar Fries
You don’t need much time or fancy cooking skills to make crispy oven-baked fries with za’atar and olive oil. Follow these simple steps:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Clean and peel your potatoes, then cut them into fries about ⅛ of an inch thick and 2-4 inches long. It’s important to make your fries as similar in size as possible for even cooking.
- As you cut the french fries, put them into a bowl of cold water. Let all of the fries sit for half an hour to an hour. This helps remove some of the starch on the outside of the potatoes for better crisping.
- Drain the potatoes and use a clean dish towel to dry them well.
- Arrange the fries on a baking sheet and drizzle them with the olive oil and za’atar spice mix. Toss everything well to coat the potatoes evenly in the seasoning.
- Bake the fries for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring them halfway through and rotating the baking sheet for even cooking.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and serve your za'atar french fries hot!
These fries are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. However, if you end up with leftovers, you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to four days. Re-crisp your oven-baked fries before serving by popping them into a 400°F oven until they're crisp.
What to Serve with Za’atar Fries
Serve your fries all on their own, or with a Mediterranean-inspired dip like:
- Plain Greek yogurt or tzatziki sauce
- Creamy hummus (bonus if it’s za’atar hummus!)
- Harissa dip