Learn the best ways to cook with za’atar spice to bring more Mediterranean flair and zest to your home cooking.
Za’atar spice blend is a vibrant, fragrant and highly versatile flavor booster that can upgrade anything from morning toast to your favorite dips and even baked goods. If you haven’t tried cooking with za’atar yet, you might be surprised by how seamlessly this crunchy, crispy and aromatic spice blend can slide into your daily rotation.
Za’atar gets its nutty, herby and savory flavor from a few basic ingredients: sesame seeds, dried Mediterranean thyme, dried oregano, sumac, and salt. Blended together, this spice adds punch to anything it nears.
Consider yourself warned: once you try our dried za’atar seasoning or drizzleable olive oil condiment on your favorite meals, you’re going to need to keep a jar nearby at all times. And we get it. That’s why we made our handy za’atar travel packets to stash in your back pocket.
How to Use Za’atar Spice
It’s impossible to cover all of the ways to use za’atar spice blend, but here are some of our favorites.
How to Use Za’atar for Breakfast
Every day should start with a hit of zest, if you ask us. And what better way to put some sunshine in your morning than with a generous sprinkle of za’atar?
We like using our dry za’atar seasoning for breakfast. Why use dry za’atar? It has a light flavor that can add a subtle pop or a total flavor bomb to your usual savory breakfasts, depending on how heavy your hand is.
Try it for yourself with these easy Middle Eastern-inspired breakfast ideas:
- Sprinkle some seasoning into whisked eggs before scrambling them with bacon and toast
- Powder your mashed avocado toast with the seasoning blend
- Turn your oatmeal savory with a teaspoon of flowery and herby za’atar
Za’atar Recipes for Lunch
When lunch rolls around, it’s just another opportunity to add some Middle Eastern pep to your plate. From sandwiches to salads, you can easily sneak za’atar flavors like thyme, oregano, and sesame seeds into your meal.
Here are some of our favorite lunch recipes with za’atar:
- Tangy yogurt wraps with za’atar and fresh mint, made with our olive oil condiment
- A fresh green salad tossed in za’atar tahini dressing
- A creamy tuna salad sandwich peppered with dry za’atar seasoning (stash a shaker or packet in your desk for an easy flavor boost)
How to Cook with Za’atar for Dinner
Finally, close out the day with a Middle Eastern-inspired dinner recipe featuring your new favorite spice. It’s delicious with any protein, including plant-based options and seafood.
Try these favorite dinner ideas with za’atar:
- Throw a za’atar pizza party with any of your favorite toppings
- Make a healthy za’atar chicken breast to serve with a crisp green salad and grains
- Roast flaky and buttery Mediterranean crusted za’atar salmon with olive oil for a dinner full of omega-3s and flavor
At the end of the day, there are dozens of ways to use za’atar spice from breakfast to dinner. And there’s no going wrong when you have a jar of za’atar from Zesty Z in your hand.